© Nihad Nino Pušija

Name: Barbara J.
Mother tongue: German
Occupation: Teacher
My object: mosque made from brass
My story about it:
This mosque has been given to me as a present by a Turkish prayer leader in Berlin. His son died of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a leaking cable at his gas stove. The accident happened in his kitchen in Berlin-Wedding. His son was to be autopsied. This was a terrible thought for the deeply religious Muslim father. He asked me to intervene with the coroner. The head of forensics understood the prayer leader’s despair. He had a close look at the corpse and saw that an autopsy was not necessary. The cause of death was clearly an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. It was not a man-induced event. The father was relieved. He had his son buried with an unscathed body in Turkey.